The next owners of 34 Court Street can be proud to say that Abraham Lincoln spoke on their land, and to know that their house was once the center of a well loved family doctor’s practice.
The Greek Revival house at 34 Court Street was built around 1860 a few blocks away from its present location and moved here some time in the 1890s. For most of the 1800s, the land it sits on was the location of Temperance Hall, where Dedham’s most prestigious visitors came to speak and where church services were held for several years. In 1848 a young Abraham Lincoln, then a U.S. Congressman, had lunch at what was then the Norfolk Tavern next door. He then returned to Temperance Hall and gave a campaign speech for presidential candidate Zachary Taylor and against Martin van Buren. According to the local newspaper, Lincoln cut his speech short when he heard the whistle for the train to Boston, his next campaign stop, as the train had arrived sooner than expected. After Temperance Hall burned down in the 1890s, this lovely house, then 30 years old, was moved to 34 Court Street.
In the early 20th century, the house was owned by a local doctor, who was beloved by generations of families in Precinct One. He carried out his medical practice in part of the first floor, and lived with his own family in the rest of the house. After his retirement, the house was converted entirely to a single family residence. Only two families have owned it since.
34 Court Street, Dedham MA: