Prices are down, all the way down to the levels of 2002. Ouch!
Despite this, nearly 90% of homeowner say they would still buy the same house they live in, according to the eighth quarterly “Allstate-National Journal Heartland Monitor Poll: The American Dream.” Isn’t it your time to get your slice of the American Pie?
This Spring, with the prices so low, markets slow, and most people still a bit nervous about the market and economy, it is a perfect opportunity for a savvy buyer to jump in and find a bargain. Here are five reasons why now is the time:
1. Prices are low! They have gone down further just this past year, with a 2.8% drop between February 2010 and February 2011. This can translate into more house, or just a better bargain. Think they’ll go down lower? Do the math of how much rent you will be throwing out the window while waiting.
2. Rates are low! That means affordability is way up. ,Lawrence Yun, the chief economist of the National Association of Realtors says, “Housing affordability conditions have been at record levels and the economy has been improving.”
Improving economy may also mean rising mortgage rates in the near future. With rates so low, you’ll have low monthly payments and spend much less on interest.
3. 70% of Americans say they’ll recommend a friend to buy a home. In this economy? In the midst of a housing crisis? Yes!
4. Home ownership is a long term asset. A survey named the “ Allstate-National Journal Heartland Monitor Poll: The American Dream,” reveals that buying a home had a much better return (24%) than saving money in the bank (20%) or investing in the stock market (6%).
5. Owning a home is much more than an asset. Homeowners love and care for their homes much more than those renting. It is not only about the money, but also about a sense of security and warmth we find in home ownership.
It is no wonder that 90% of homeowners would buy their homes again, and it is no wonder that 58% of those who believe we are still in a housing crisis would buy their homes again.
Home ownership has always been seen as an essential part of living the American Dream, and this Spring it is your turn to jump into the housing market and find your dream home. Almost everyone agrees – you won’t regret it.
Are you ready to buy? Why or why not?